Friday 18 August 2017

Alcohol Poem



I'd become disappointed
All my hopes were dashed;
I didn't get what I expected
All my dreams were smashed,
I became, thwarted, frustrated
Foiled, depleted and defeated.

Did not make my mind taste too good
Could not find a reason, why it should,
Drunk from bottles in search of oblivion
To drown my sorrows, travel deep inside,
Left me moaning, cursing my fate
At the bottom, feeling second rate.

Chain smoking, swallowed poison
Underfed my battered senses,
Abandoned pride, logic's reasons
Drifted through the passing seasons,
Could find no escape, from this deep fog
whimpered and moaned like a beaten dog.

All my energy seemed to have been spent
Felt rejected every fucking place I went,
Veins found comfort in flowing alcohol
The abyss became my lonely port of call,
This sweet addiction with it's power to destroy
Started to drown my thirst for social justice.

Not that easy though, to simply walk away
The taste is deep, emitting toxins of desire,
Hard to leave an increasing dependency
Like an old lover,that heart has been given to,
Ultimately can deliver, an amount of pleasure
Releasing blurred visions, in the vortex of surrender.

But enlightenment and liberation go hand in hand
Slowly I've been trying to find a different land,
Still searching, got many more miles to go
Trying hard  to resist, counter the flow,
Have not given up, and the battle will be long
It's getting easier though, to find another song.

No comments:

Post a Comment